RARA-AVIS: RE: The Sacred Ginmill

From: Dick Lochte ( dlochte@adelphia.net)
Date: 20 Aug 2003

Re the comments on Larry Block's "When the Sacred Ginmill Closes," this book appeared after Block had decided to end the Scudder series. "Ginmill" consists of three novellas stitched together -- three adventures from the character's past life. One of them won the Edgar, I believe. I like it, but it's definitely not the book I'd recommend to introduce the series. It's an interim title, not very representative of the dark, hard-edged novels that precede it or the still noirish but a bit lighter books that come after, when Block figured out a way to keep Scudder sober, vaguely happy and fictionally active.