Re: RARA-AVIS: Block off the hit list

From: Chris Martin ( cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 18 Aug 2003

Miker wrote:
>Thanks for the heads-up on HIT LIST, Mario. I bought
>it cheap and had it in mind to eventually read it.
>It's crossed off the list now. Is WHEN THE SACRED
>GINMILL CLOSES by him? I didn't much care for it.
>Characters didn't impress me that much and neither did
>the plot. Sorta dull. Dark and gloomy can be
>entertaining. Derek Raymond knows how.

You are correct, Miker, Block wrote When the Sacred Gin Mill Closes. It is from the Scudder series, and I'm a bit surprised you didn't like it. I would have guessed Scudder would be right down your alley. I wasn't blown away by the first Scudder book I read (Long Line of Dead Men), but I've come around and now look forward to each new Scudder book. That said, I don't care too much for the other series Block writes, Keller included.

I'd say give Scudder another chance, Miker. You might want to try one of the books from when he's sober. If you don't want to, that's cool too. There are plenty of other great books out there to be read.

Chris

_________________________________________________________________ Help STOP SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail