RARA-AVIS: RE: Jean-Patrick Manchette

From: Duane Spurlock ( duane1spur@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 Aug 2003

"Chris Martin" < cptpipes@hotmail.com> wrote:

<< Mark mentioned:

>I kept thinking about Hammett's Flitcraft story while
reading 3 to Kill.
>Beams fall into Gerfaut's life. And they keep
falling for a while. He
>comes completely loose from his civilized shorings
and aligns himself
>with the nature of his new world, even becomes a
killer, first in the
>moment, then calculatingly. When that plays out,
though, it does not
>staisfy him. Flitcraft recreated a life much like
his old one when the
>beams stopped falling. Gerfaut goes even further and
just steps back
>into his own old life, telling everyone he has no
memories of the past
>year, as if none of it happened. And in a way, it
didn't. Nothing has
>changed.

Interesting that you bring up the Flitcraft story in connection with 3 TO A KILL. Check the review of this novel posted to my site, The Pulp Rack, back in October. Great minds think alike.

http://pulprack.com/arch/000037.html#000037

- Duane Spurlock Proprietor The Pulp Rack http://www.pulprack.com