RARA-AVIS: Richard Price's CLOCKERS

From: Ed Lynskey ( e_lynskey@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 Aug 2003

I finally finished Richard Price's CLOCKERS, which, at 600 pages, has been most of my summer reading. Mr. Price's style, a gritty street vernacular from the early 1990s, appeals to me. The story, as has been discussed by previous rara-avians, is about a drug distributor named Strike. The CLOCKERS are his younger boys that do the actual drug selling.

The most disappointing thing for me was the rather flat ending. After hanging for 600 pages, I wanted something meatier.

And now on to Simenon before the month is out.

Ed Lynskey

=====