Re: RARA-AVIS: Jean-Patrick Manchette

From: Chris Martin ( cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 14 Aug 2003

Mark mentioned:

>I kept thinking about Hammett's Flitcraft story while reading 3 to Kill.
>Beams fall into Gerfaut's life. And they keep falling for a while. He
>comes completely loose from his civilized shorings and aligns himself
>with the nature of his new world, even becomes a killer, first in the
>moment, then calculatingly. When that plays out, though, it does not
>staisfy him. Flitcraft recreated a life much like his old one when the
>beams stopped falling. Gerfaut goes even further and just steps back
>into his own old life, telling everyone he has no memories of the past
>year, as if none of it happened. And in a way, it didn't. Nothing has
>changed.

Interesting comparisons, Mark. I read The Prone Gunman a few months back either immediately before or after reading James Sallis' spy novel/road novel Death Will Have Your Eyes. Sallis' book was the perfect counterpunch to The Prone Gunman. David from from Death Will Have Your Eyes is in many ways the counterpoint to Gerfault. He wants to remember everything.

_________________________________________________________________ MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus