Re: RARA-AVIS: "Homme Fatal / Femme Fatale" Again

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 14 Aug 2003

<<The literary closet being what it is, perhaps one should create a special category for tales by queer authors where central female characters fall prey to nefarious (if desirable) males?>>

I am reminded of Robin Maugham's _The Servant_, brilliantly adapted by Harold Pinter and put on screen by Joseph Losey
-- with Dirk Bogarde at his best (well, after he hit his stride he was always at his best). Not to be missed.

It's sort of noir. Not, it's dark noir, baroque noir.

We should probably talk more about Losey. He had a genuinely noir sensibility. Even in Don Giovanni, of course in Don Giovanni.

Best,

MrT