Re: RARA-AVIS: Patricia Highsmith biography

From: John Williams ( johnwilliams@ntlworld.com)
Date: 13 Aug 2003

Mario reported as follows

> Last Sunday's Washington Post Book World contains a review
> by Alice Turner of Beautiful Shadow: A Life of Patricia
> Highsmith_ by Andrew Wilson. The review is probably still
> online.
>
> According to the reviewer, this is a dispassionate
> biography that doesn't try to glorify its subject. Here is
> Otto Penzler on Patricia, as quoted in the book:
>
> "There was an unredeemable ugliness to her. I never
> witnessed a kind thought, a kind word, a kind gesture in
> all the time we spent together."

Well I only met Patricia Highsmith once (to interview her in 1988) but I would liek to completely refute this view of Highsmith. I found her odd and socially awkward, but funny and likeable. As for the kind gesture. I got my publisher to send her galleys of my first book and she came back promptly with a very nice blurb. Might it perhaps be the case that Highsmith was one of that not inconsiderable number of writers who have found Mr Penzler's own charm hard to detect?

John