Re: RARA-AVIS: Jean-Patrick Manchette

From: John Williams ( johnwilliams@ntlworld.com)
Date: 13 Aug 2003

> >almost done with 3 to Kill. Great, great book. However, I was
> >wondering about a number of, assumedly, French cultural references (I
> >got most of the jazz references. Can anyone help with any of the
>following?
> >

> >She reads "Edgar Morin's latest book" while he reads an old JD
> >MacDonald. Given her other taste, am I right to assume Morin is pretty
> >literary and/or trendy? She later reads "a book by someone called
> >Castoriadis." Also literary?

Cornelius Castoriadis aka Paul Cardan..Born in eastern Europe but based in France post-war. Very interesting political theorist whose sixties writngs
(as Paul Cardan) looked to find a midway between anarchism and communism - inpsiring a small but at the time significant British party called Solidarity For Social Revolution. Later became a psychoanalyst. His book Crossroads In The Labyrinth is a fascinating mix of autobiography and psychoanalytic/political theory (and includes a masterful demolition of Lacan for anyone interested in that kind of thing)

John