Re: RARA-AVIS: Edwin Lanham's SLUG IT SLAY

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 11 Aug 2003

Richard wrote (some tiem ago, but I'm catching up):

"Even though the thrust of the story was contra-Christie style writing, there was a reluctance to abandon the convention of making everyone and his brother a potential suspect."

Joseph Hansen does the same thing in the David Brandstetter books. He moves pretty much every character through the crime scene and solving the murder depends upon figuring out the exact timeline, so as to expose the murderer who claims either to have left the victim alive or discover him/her already dead. I sometimes found this a bit stilted in a series I otherwise think very highly of.

Mark