Re: RARA-AVIS: academic questions

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 11 Aug 2003

Kerry wrote:

"Having said that, the femme fatale is a fixture of the genre and in literature in general. She is a specific threat to male power not through direct confrontation but through seduction and manipulation. That may have more to do with method than gender, though certainly they are linked. I may stand corrected, but I don't think there were a lot of gay protagonists in the genre between the wars either. So we don't have a pop culture basis for comparison."

This got me thinking. Is there an equivalent of the femme fatale in crime novels featuring homosexual protagonists, a character who uses his/her sexuality to lead someone of the same sex to their destruction? I'm not nearly well read enough when it comes to gay crime writers to even begin to see patterns.

Mark