Re: RARA-AVIS: Jean-Patrick Manchette

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 07 Aug 2003

Jennifer, a belated welcome and thanks for the link to your review. Now I'm interested in this author. His stuff must be available in France, where things don't go out of print nearly as quickly as in the US.

By the way, the work of Debord, as that of Baudrillard (who worked a similar vein), is not without interest.

I always get some interesting observation out of Baudrillard, even when he's at his silliest. His book of travel observations, "America", is a good example. Just when I think he gets it, he comes up with a whopper. And just when I'm about to give up on him, he's vividly on target. He shoots from the hip and doesn't count the misses. Best of all, he provided Sokal and Bricmont with some exhuberant examples of pseudoscientific nonsense.

A philosopher that provides so much entertainment, and who is so botchingly smart, is a treasurable rarity.

Best,

MrT