RARA-AVIS: Jean-Patrick Manchette

From: Jennifer Howard ( howardjen@washpost.com)
Date: 07 Aug 2003

This spring I read "The Prone Gunman" and "Three to Kill," in the City Lights translations, for the Boston Review. Even though different people did the translations, the style stayed distinctive and recognizable, which makes me think the translations aren't bad. I'm not an expert on Situationism but feel that its influence on Manchette comes through pretty clearly in those two novels. If anybody's interested, you can take a look at the BR piece here: http://bostonreview.net/BR28.2/howard.nclk

(Warning: To make my case I wound up including some plot spoilers, so don't read the piece if you haven't read the novels but want to.)

Jennifer