RARA-AVIS: "Persons of The, Ahem, Hansen/Brandstetter Nava/Rios Sort"

From: chrisaschneider@earthlink.net
Date: 06 Aug 2003

-------Original Message------- From: Mario Taboada < matrxtech@yahoo.com> Sent: 08/06/03 08:08 AM To: rara-avis@icomm.ca Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Assumptions, Anyone?

> Nava, I have never read. Is he good? Brandstetter doesn't have much to do with women, so I can't tell how seriously they take him. The classic PIs that Jay brought up preferred women, and that's what I addressed. Very many modern PIs are women written by women, which should correct the (fictional) balance somewhat.

Actually, that "doesn't have much to do with women" was the point of my note. In attempting to avoid a hectoring tone, I wound up a bit like those characters in "Maurice" (both Forster novel and Merchant/Ivory movie) who hem and haw and refer uncomfortably to "disorders of the, ahem, Oscar Wilde Sort." "What about persons of the Hansen/Brandstetter, Nava/Rios sort?", I was more-or-less asking.

The "assumption" I was attempting to question was the assumption that the universe -- in this case, the Hard-Boiled-slash-Noir literary universe -- is entirely "heterosexual until proven otherwise." The tendency of meny hetero writers-of-commentary and/or opinion-slingers to assume such things is, depending on the moment's mood, either amusing (hence my rolled eyes) or irritating. I believe that Adrienne Rich's phrase for such blinkered critical vision is "forced heterosexuality."

It's just that when people start using the word "man" as, seemingly, a stand-in for "hetero and male like the only people that we care to talk about thank-you-very-much," I start getting restive ...

My knowledge of Nava is, I'm afraid, second-hand. Instinct told me (wrongly?) that his Henry Rios books are worthy-but-dull. The bit of Hansen that I *have* read seemed solid and yet less than exciting -- although I do remember enjoying "Fadeout."

That's the sort of writing that drives me back to the excesses of ever-problematic, ever-enjoyable Cornell Woolrich. Hoo-boy, that "Jane Brown's Body"!

Chris

P.S. Anyone have anything to say about the recommedability of, say, John Morgan Wilson or Richard Stevenson or Mark Richard Zubro or R.D. Zimmerman?