Re: RARA-AVIS: Patricia Highsmith biography

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 05 Aug 2003

Mario Taboada quoted some mean nasty stuff about Patty.

********** Marijane Meaker finally broke loose of her after a torrid two year relationship. They didn't speak to each other for 27 years. Highsmith visited her for three days. Meaker said she was drunk the whole time and absolutely vitriolic. She had developed prejudices against Jews, blacks, and even homosexuals. Meaker was miserable the whole time. When Highsmith left Meaker threw out everything she had touched, including bars of soap. When an interviewer asked Meaker if she thought Highsmith still had feelings for her, Meaker said no. It was her opinion that Highsmith hated everyone.

I hear the book has been well-received and is a great period piece about the bohemian/literary scene in Greenwich Village and out on Fire Island during the Fifties.

Meaker lives out on Long Island in the Hamptons. Wish we could get her on here for a guest appearance.

miker