Re: RARA-AVIS: Jason Starr question

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 03 Aug 2003

Ron Clinton
> Speaking of remarkable novels, I just finished a novel that was firmly in
> the Starr tradition -- a down-and-out protagonist entrenched in
> circumstances spiraling out of control and, as in some of Starr's works, a
> liberal dose of humour thrown in for good measure...in this case, enough
> label this one on the satirical side of noir. Fully-fleshed characters,
> thrilling narrative, clean & terse prose. SINCE THE LAYOFFS by Iain
> Levinson. One of the best crime/noir books I've read for quite some
> time...hmm, maybe since Starr's last one. If you like Starr -- or hitman
> novels -- you'll like this one.
>
> Here's a review I found of it:
> http://www.noirnovels.com/review.php?review=16

********** Thanks for the recommendation, Ron. Found it brand new at Amazon. I've been trying to keep most of my reading in the pre-1980 stuff, but I don't have a lot of self-discipline. The majority of my reading is post-1980, so reading in the past is just an attempt to fill in some gaps.

I'm reading another on Mark Sullivan's short list of avant garde detective novels, Lethem's MOTHERLESS BROOKLYN. So far it's pure gold. I got that GLASS CITY or whatever it's called coming, too. WAHOOO!

miker