Re: RARA-AVIS: Willeford

From: JT Lindroos ( juha@oivas.com)
Date: 28 Jul 2003

I just had the good fortune to read Willeford's Black Mass of Brother Springer. I expected to enjoy it, but I absolutely loved this book. It was funny, entertaining, it had something to say and a writer with the ability to say it without being obvious or overbearing. It was consistently surprising, quite different from Willeford's other work but at the same time written in that very recognizable voice. It's gentle and amusing for a Willeford novel (if not by anybody elses standards), with a wry weird groove to it -- I was chortling and laughing out loud throughout. It goes into his Kafka obsessions, and the sermons the Right Reverend Sam Deuteronomy Springer delivers are brilliantly written. I can just imagine him having the time of his life writing it. I think he's quoted in the Herron book as saying it's a bizarre novel, and that he was "temporarily insane" when he wrote it. It's an essential Willeford book, and worth every penny you spend on it.

--Juha.

--
JT Lindroos
wit's end publishing