Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Freeling short stories

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 28 Jul 2003

Re Doug's comment below:

> Nicholas Freeling's short stories might make a good
> volume in our Lost
> Classics series, a year or two hence. Does anyone
> know who represents
> Freeling's estate?

One thing that's kind of interesting about Freeling's short stories is that many of them were about Van der Valk, but they were published AFTER the novel in which VdV had his irreversible rendevous with the Reichenbach. Supposedly they were set BEFORE that book, but I always wondered why, if he felt free to resurrect VdV for short stories, he felt constrained about doing it in novels.

JIM DOHERTY

P.S.

Saturday, July 26, was my mom's birthday. I got to wish her a happy birthday personally, instead of going to church and lighting a candle in her memory because a lot of you Rare Birds offered prayers and support several months ago when she was undergoing a dangerous surgery. Seemed like an appropriate occasion to thank you all once again.

JIM