RARA-AVIS: THE DAMNATION OF ADAM BLESSING, Vin Packer 1961

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 27 Jul 2003

Finished this one today. Some consider it Packer's best, I think. It actually wasn't too bad. An orphan boy grows up idolizing the rich and works hard to be accepted into their company. He is a hopeless, alcoholic bore, refusing to accept rejection and instead consoling himself with a cruelly delusional fantasy.

Although I haven't read it, I saw the movie The Talented Mr. Ripley and Packer's book seems like a variation on that theme. I wish I had read the Highsmith book instead.

The problem with the book is that there was almost nothing admirable or entertaining about Adam Blessing, and that is damning. Even the most wicked of protagonists have something entertaining about them, Lou Ford the sheer violence of his insanity, Stanton Carlisle his ability to turn human weakness into cash, and Hannibal Lecter his ability to choose the correct wine for even the most unusual food.

miker