Re: RARA-AVIS: [Bend it like Carver! Not!] Re: HEART OF DARKNESS

From: Al Guthrie ( allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 25 Jul 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Miles Archer" < marcher@bctonline.com>
> I suspect that one of the reasons long sentances, adjectives, adverbs and
> other devices are out of favor is due to the reading habits and abilities
of
> the current generation (including mine, the BBs). Everything is short now.
> Quick cuts in movies. Frantic camera work on TV series.
>
> Perhaps it will cycle around again and I'll be able to use the long
> sentences I so enjoy.

One wonders if the sentence of greater duration is an effective literary device for the contemporary crime writer, that, for instance, by hanging fire in the Jamesian tradition, a writer's manipulation of syntax and layering of clauses, a writer's reluctance, whether for the most part subconscious or, indeed, as in Henry's case, by design, to reach, in the event of death failing to occur meanwhile, his conclusion, intrinsically builds tension. Or is it just irritating?

Al Guthrie