RE: RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled politics

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 23 Jul 2003

<<Sue Grafton's Kinsey Milhone>>

You think she has a good life?

<<William Campbell Gault's Joe Puma..

A sleazeball who doesn't even know he's sleazy. I do concede he's a likable sleazeball. But happy? Had you mentioned Gault's Callahan, I would agree. He has a life.

<<Sara Paretsky's V.I.W.>>

Screwed-up PI, makes the mistake of going out to help others when she doesn't remotely have her own house in order.

I know quality is not the topic of discussion , but in the cases of Grafton and Paretsky, I think we are descending to a much lower level of literature than is the norm here. Those characters are not fully formed, they were made to sell (a success).

Best,

MrT