Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Hardboiled politics

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 20 Jul 2003

Jim D wrote:

"I don't necessarily buy the contention that EVERYTHING is political, even the eschewing of politics, but to the extent that that viewpoint is correct, and to the extent that the police procedural is political at all, then it's fundamentally conservative. And frankly, that seems obvious on its face."

Jim, for once I've got to agree with you. The job of the police is to
"conserve" the status quo. And as far as it goes, I think much of PI fiction is similarly conservative, even if some of the PIs themsleves may be leftist. Just think of all of the PIs who are nostalgic (through thought or deed, sometimes even spoken) for a time gone by.

Mark