RARA-AVIS: Re: Hardboiled Politics

From: Graham Powell ( bleekerbooks@hotmail.com)
Date: 19 Jul 2003

One of the reasons the classic private eye gets to do what he does instead of ninetofiving is because he's responsible only for himself. I gave up working for the man and did some consulting for a year, and it was great. In only quit because I was barely getting enough work to support myself, and after a while sitting around the house in my underwear got kind of boring.

Later, I got married and had a couple of kids (my wife did most of the work). Now I have responsibilities. I'm obliged to compromise my principles from time to time in order to keep clothes on my kids' backs. Marlowe and Spade can do whatever the hell they want, and if they get beat up or shot, it's their own damn fault. Loneliness gives you a lot of freedom that way.

Graham