Re: RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled politics

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 18 Jul 2003

The DJ said:

<<At most, he keeps himself from being sucked into the void.>>

And he [the detective or other independent thingfixer] keeps himself busy with what, for lack of a better word, I will call honest work. It's real work, it beats ninetofiving, and it must bring some moral satisfaction.

Now the question: what kind of satisfaction does, say, John Marshall Tanner get out of his thingfixing? Could he be labelled a total loser or is he an existential hero --that is, a total loser sanctioned by a Philosophical Movement?

This is no joke: I was mentally going over a list of fixers and damn if I could understand why they do what they do. Don't tell me it was nobility of character: that's a rare quality and I don't see why fixers would have more than the general population.

Best,

MrT