RARA-AVIS: Faulkner's Style

From: Bludis Jack ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 15 Jul 2003

Miker said:

<<I thought his style vacillated from straight clean hardboiled to elegant and flowery and perhaps overblown in SANCTUARY. One way on one page and another on the next. I assumed that it tied into what was going on, but I didn't take the time to study it.>>

I'm not sure about "Santuary," but all this talke about it had gotten me interested.

I remember beginning "The Sound and the Fury" when I was in college, and struggling through the first page thinking "This guy is an idiot," and finally the light bulb flashed on and I realized he was telling the story from the point-of-view of Benjy, an idiout.

At least in that book, Faulker suited his style to the point of view character.

Is it that simple in "Sanctuary?"

Faulkner, like Henry James, sometimes writes convoluted sentenses that are hard to follow by we of only average intellectual capacity.

Jack Bludis

===== http://JackBludis.com