RARA-AVIS: Re: Politics, schmolitics...

From: Juri Nummelin ( juri.nummelin@postikaista.net)
Date: 15 Jul 2003

Kevin (hi Kevin!):

> Cozies and
> amateur sleuth mysteries (particularly those labelled as
> "traditional") tend to closed worlds, and spy fiction and thrillers
> too often reduce politics to the cartoon level.

Those are also political stands. It's extremely political to try to shut out all the politics. And in the end, in spy stories and cozies, we have an amazing amount of sexual and textual politics to be dealt with.

> So, some of my favourite "political" crime authors, just off the top
> of my head:

Great list - but no Dashiell Hammett! "Red Harvest" and "The Glass Key" are surely political.

Juri