Re: RARA-AVIS: Hadboiled Faulkner

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 13 Jul 2003

<<And as for Faulkner's writing not being "straightforward"
-- he's at least as straightforward as Proust or Garcia Marquez!>>

Faulkner's style is not concise, but I consider it straightforward -- it is an oral style, or more precisely, an idealization of a Southern oral style, in which people take their time to do things and to tell a story. According to friends, Faulkner talked much the way he wrote.

The same is true of Garcíˇ MᲱuez, an avowed Faulkner disciple who after writing an instant classic, simplified his style considerably. In his recent book of memoirs, he reaches a remarkable stylistic classicism: nothing gets in the way of the story and the narrator's voice is fully integrated, fully objective (the illusion of it). You don't know if you're readin fiction or a memoir but you believe it all.

Proust, I would not place anywhere near these two. Most of his work puts me to sleep, partly because I have no affinity for his characters and situations. Not his fault.

Best,

MrT