RARA-AVIS: Hadboiled Faulkner

From: Graham Powell ( bleekerbooks@hotmail.com)
Date: 13 Jul 2003

I would suggest "That Evening Sun" as another hardboiled Faulkner tale. Among other things, Faulkner casually mentions that one of the characters ends up dead in a ditch, her throat cut by her husband. It seems to me that a lot of Faulkner has a certain air of menace. His writing wasn't as straightforward as most crime writing, and I didn't like a lot of it (I
*hated* THE HAMLET, which I was forced to read in college), but when it works, its very good.

Graham

_________________________________________________________________ Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN 8. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail