Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: One Mr. Willeford's points of irony/humor

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 09 Jul 2003

Since we are launching the Willeford boat, let me say that he is one of not many authors that delight me matter what they write about.

Thus, I include him in the same category as Mark Twain, William Faulkner, John Steinbeck, Italo Calvino, Joseph Conrad, Gabriel Garcíˇ MᲱuez, Jorge Luis Borges, Naguib Mahfouz, Adolfo Bioy Casares and Dino Buzzati.

His art is in the telling, and his telling is, it seems, a well-tossed mixture of natural storytelling genius and extreme care with the text. But this I'm sure everybody has noticed. I suspect most raravians read for the carpentry as much as for the story itself. We look at the carpentry in order to know what to steal.

Best,

MrT