Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Georges Simenon

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 08 Jul 2003

On 8 July 2003, Etienne Borgers wrote:

: http://www.geocities.com/Paris/cafe/2877/writers/writers.html#sim
:
: The noir side of Simenon is to be found amongst his "literary" works,
: outside his Maigret series, as you may know.

Thanks. It is indeed Simenon month, but I got behind in kicking it off. M. Borgers, among Simenon's non-Maigret books, you recommend:

    * LES ANNEAUX DE BICTRE (THE RINGS OF BICETRE, aka THE PATIENT)
    * TROIS CHAMBRES MANHATTAN (THREE BEDS IN MANHATTAN)
    * LA NEIGE TAIT SALE (THE STAIN ON THE SNOW)

What are they like? Can you give a summary? I speak as someone who has never even read a Maigret novel, though I have a certain picture of them in my mind. I have no idea what his other books are like.

Bill