RARA-AVIS: RE: Marlowe

From: Dick Lochte ( dlochte@adelphia.net)
Date: 01 Jul 2003

Since somebody asked about the Philip Carey version of Marlowe, I think he actually looked more like my idea of Marlowe than anyone else who's played the part. Except for the circular scar they put under his eye, to make him look tougher, I suppose. I don't know whatever happened to those shows. They were hit and miss, but certainly better than most of what's on today. One has surfaced and is available on DVD. Not bad, but far from what I remember as the best -- a truly inspired episode in which a clever scriptwriter, possibly Charles Beaumont, put Marlowe into Beaumont's short story, "The Hunger."

SPOILER WARNING

The short story is about a sexually frustrated spinster who learns that a homicidal rapist is on the loose in her neighborhood. It ends with her leaving the safety of her home to try to find him, having decided that her first sexual experience is worth death. In the TV episode, Marlowe discovers the spinster's plan and races to stop her. Building suspense, the camera cuts from Marlowe being thwarted first by stupid cops, then a lynch mob, to the spinster as she moves closer to the slavering rapist-killer. Just as the rapist-killer attacks her, Marlowe arrives, trailed by the mob. As I recall the mob drags the rapist away, presumably to tear him apart. The story ends with the spinster and Marlowe reacting to the mob. She turns to him and says, "You saved me, Marlowe, but I'll never forgive you for it."