RARA-AVIS: Re: Straw Dogs

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 30 Jun 2003

>I don't know what book you're thinking of. The wife does not get raped in
>THE SIEGE OF TRENCHER'S FARM.

No wonder I didn't remember her enjoying it.

Actually, somehow I deleted a sentence somewhere, or possibly partially cut-and-pasted over myself. You can tell by the clumsier than usual sentence construction (... but it's in the novel, at least, it's clear... HUH? )

I can't remember exactly what I meant to say, but it was something like this:

>And Peckingpah did change the story when he filmed it -- Hoffman's
>character may have wondered about his wife, but in the novel, at
>least, I don't even remember her getting raped, never mind her
>having enjoyed it. I mean, does anyone besides Andrew Luster think
>people WANT to be raped?

That's more or less what I meant to say. I think...

>And it's kind of OT, but apparently, Peckinpah did believe women
>enjoyed being raped (he at least thought that some deserved it)

Maybe Peckingpah himself enjoyed being raped -- that would explain a lot.