RARA-AVIS: Re: Keitel as Marlowe?

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 27 Jun 2003

Mark wrote:

>I've got to agree with Jim here. As much as I like Harvey Keitel, I
>cannot see him as Marlowe (possibly Hammer). He's not nearly urbane
>enough.

I can't see him either. My favourite Marlowe is still Dick Powell, who brought a certain class and wit and intelligence to the role. Bogey played him more as a glib conniver on the make, closer to Sam Spade than Marlowe. Mitchum was better than Bogey, though he was about 400 years late to play him.

Who could play Marlowe? That's a toughie. Based on acting alone, maybe a Johnny Depp or Ben Affleck or Elias Koteas could pull it off
(provided they eat a little red meat first). Thing is, in the books, or at least the early ones, Marlowe comes off as a young smartass, cynical before his time, not a grouchy middle-aged man. The problem with casting Keitel, Ford, DeNiro, Willis or whoever (or even Mitchum at the time) was that all these guys would come off as grumpy older men.

--

Kevin Burton Smith The Thrilling Detective Web Site http://www.thrillingdetective.com Five years on... -- # To unsubscribe from the regular list, say "unsubscribe rara-avis" to # majordomo@icomm.ca. This will not work for the digest version. # The web pages for the list are at http://www.miskatonic.org/rara-avis/ .