RARA-AVIS: Dennis Cooper

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 27 Jun 2003

The TV just happened to be on Miami Vice (no, really). However, I noticed in the credits that Laurence Fishburne (as a corrupt prison guard) was in the episode, so I decided to stick. However, the credits held something even more surprising. Credited as co-producer was Dennis Cooper. Okay, I figured, that's got to be a pretty common name. It's not necessarily the same guy who wrote Frisk -- talk about creepy and disturbing noir with an unreliable narrator, a gay serial killer (or is he, the latter, he is most definitely the former), as we recently were. So I looked him up at www.imdb.com. According to them, Cooper wrote for both Miami Vice (I missed the writing credit on this episode) and Hill Street Blues a decade or so before Frisk. Can it really be the same guy? Also, imdb showed a movie was made of Frisk. Has anyone seen it? I can't imagine it getting less than an NC-7 if it is even close to faithful to the book.

Mark