RARA-AVIS: "Red Wind" / HEART OF DARKNESS

From: Graham Powell ( bleekerbooks@hotmail.com)
Date: 26 Jun 2003

Reading the post on Marlowe got me thinking about how Chandler was always searching for nobility in his characters. Marlowe himself was the most noble of all, but many other characters (Moose Malloy, for example) have honor and nobility in spite of their rough natures.

I'm not exactly sure how, but that got me thinking about the ending to "Red Wind", and I realized that in some ways it's similar to the end of Joesph Conrad's HEART OF DARKNESS (also narrated by a Marlowe, one who possibly influenced Chandler - I don't know for sure).

(Possible spoilers ahead)

Specifically, both end with the narrator allowing a woman to think the best of a man who doesn't deserve it. Conrad lets Kurtz's fiance believe that Kurtz was thinking of her as he died, while Chandler lets the woman in "Red Wind" think her former lover, killed in WWII, was more than a cad.

Anyone have any more information about whether and how much Chandler was influenced by Conrad?

_________________________________________________________________ Add photos to your messages with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail