RARA-AVIS: Straw Dogs

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 26 Jun 2003

Watched Straw Dogs a couple evenings ago. Great movie. It's kinda got a theme like JDM's CAPE FEAR, with normal people forced into hardboiled circumstances. Dustin Hoffman is a conscientious objector draft dodger hanging out with his hot little wife in Scotland or England. More than just a conscientious objector, he's a coward. But when a group of locals invade his home, he makes a stand. A bloody, violent, wicked stand. The movie implies that pacificism is a dangerous invitation to more aggression.

A good movie. I recommend it. The credits listed the novel it was adapted from. Something like THE SIEGE OF THE TRENCHER'S FARM, by Gordon Williams. I'm too lazy to surf over to imdb.com and verify it.

After watching the old Cape Fear, I've now got the newer one to watch with Nick Nolte and naughty little Juliette Lewis. I've seen her in several hardboiled movies, and she's almost always a bad girl, like in Natural Born Killers and Kalifornia.

miker