Re: RARA-AVIS: JDM'S *The End of the Night*

From: Al Guthrie ( allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 20 Jun 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bludis Jack" < buildsnburns@yahoo.com>

> What follows is alternate point of view incidents
> leaing up to the actual capture of the four. Each
> point of view is written in a different voice,
> but as always, McGee imposes his own brand of
> poetic prose on each character.
>
> Which is the problem I had with the book. The
> most focused characters are one member of "the
> wolf pack," a drop out from college just a few
> weeks before graduation; the other is the group's
> last victim, a well-to-do young lady who who is
> about to get married but who is in the wrong
> place at the wrong time.
>
> One gets the feeling that JDM in this one, was
> writing for the ages and didn't quite hit the
> mark.

This sounded familiar, so I checked my notes from when I read this book earlier in the year. I wrote: it's nobody's story, which is okay in a thriller, but this isn't a thriller. It's convincing enough, just a bit dull. Possibly a mistake to begin with the executions. Ruined what would otherwise have been some badly needed suspense.

I think 1960 was a bit of an experimental year for JDM. He also wrote "Slam The Big Door", which is strangely soporific (although the ending wakes you up with a mighty clatter).

Al