RARA-AVIS: A Bullet for Cinderella

From: James Reasoner ( james53@flash.net)
Date: 20 Jun 2003

From 1955, this is one of the John D. MacDonald books I hadn't read until now. It's full of things that were already in the process of becoming cliches when it came out: the hunt for hidden loot, the hero who's been psychologically and emotionally wounded by war (in this case, being a POW in a North Korean prison camp), the innocent-appearing small town that really has all sorts of dark secrets lurking under the surface.

In MacDonald's hands, the familiarity of these elements doesn't really matter. He's such a good storyteller that he pulls them all together into a very readable whole. There's a little philosophizing, but not to the extent that it slows down the action. I don't think this is a great JDM novel, but it's certainly a good one.

James