Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Harmful books

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 20 Jun 2003

Charles Ardai wrote:
> L'ETRANGER ("The Stranger") by Camus -- Author influenced by Cain, but
> far more influential himself in turn, as key figure in development of
> post-WWII philosophical thought and literary style
>
> ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT by Remarque -- Deeply influential
> anti-war novel telling story of doomed WWI soldiers from German point of
> view
>
> ONE DAY IN THE LIFE OF IVAN DENISOVITCH by Solzhenitsyn -- Ultimate
> prison novel, exposed the Soviet gulag
>
> CRIME AND PUNISHMENT by Dostoevsky -- First great
> inside-the-killer's-head tale murder and its consequences
>
> I, THE JURY by Spillane -- First time the man has appeared in this sort
> of company, I imagine; but you can't deny that the book had a huge
> impact when it came out.

*************** Thanks, Charles! Great list. I've read the Solzhenitsyn and the Spillane book. I've been pondering the relationship between existentialism and noir, and as soon as I finish Willeford's "New Forms of Ugly," I've got Camus's book waiting on me. I thought I'd try Kafka's THE TRIAL but it's not really a short novel and I don't know if I can endure that much morbid absurdity. I've been wanting to read Remarque's book for years but never got around to it.

Thanks again, miker