RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: Harmful books

From: Charles Ardai ( charles@winterfall.com)
Date: 20 Jun 2003

> What hardboiled or noir books have rocked
> the world? Feel free to use any definition you
> see fit for "rocking the world."

And any definition we see fit for "hardboiled or noir"?

L'ETRANGER ("The Stranger") by Camus -- Author influenced by Cain, but far more influential himself in turn, as key figure in development of post-WWII philosophical thought and literary style

ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT by Remarque -- Deeply influential anti-war novel telling story of doomed WWI soldiers from German point of view

ONE DAY IN THE LIFE OF IVAN DENISOVITCH by Solzhenitsyn -- Ultimate prison novel, exposed the Soviet gulag

CRIME AND PUNISHMENT by Dostoevsky -- First great inside-the-killer's-head tale murder and its consequences

I, THE JURY by Spillane -- First time the man has appeared in this sort of company, I imagine; but you can't deny that the book had a huge impact when it came out.

--Charles