Re: RARA-AVIS: Slang

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 19 Jun 2003

Mario Taboada wrote:

> I'v come to the conclusion that abusing slang is a weakness
> in a writer. If a story is good, you don't need so much
> garnish. A bit goes a long way. Even Chandler's patois gets
> tiresome sometimes.

************** This hit a chord with me, Mario. I've been reading Bant Singer's YOU'RE WRONG, DELANEY. I can handle just about any amount of slang or bad grammar in dialogue, but when I've got to read a first person narrative where the whole thing is slang, like Singer's novel, I have a hard time with it. It got me to thinking about the great classic of slang, Twain's HUCKLEBERRY FINN, and thinking surely the whole narrative isn't slang, so I checked it out. It is.

miker