Re: RARA-AVIS: DARK RIDE, Kent Harrington

From: Patrick ( pat512@mindspring.com)
Date: 18 Jun 2003

Hi, miker.

> I searched the rara-avis archives for "evil, nasty, wicked noir
> with lots of kinky sex and raging violence" and Harrington's DARK
> RIDE popped up. Mario has mentioned him several times and here
> recently I think Bill Denton spoke well of him.

So what else came up in your search? <grin>

> DARK RIDE is aptly titled. It's difficult to not draw parallels.
> Resurrect Jim Thompson, set him up with a meth lab in a rundown
> trailer sitting by itself on some backwater Florida dirt road,
> read Cain's THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE to him and give him
> a typewriter.

Here are my comments from rec.arts.mystery, after I read it last month:

_Dark Ride_, Kent Harrington

Boy meets girl (who happens to be into whips and chains) Boy does something stupid to win girl Consequences ensue

A decent ride (no pun intended). It didn't *quite* work for me. It required the antagonist to do something I thought was unutterably stupid. Also, it's a frequent annoyance to see depictions of BDSM that are so dysfunctional.

Pat