RARA-AVIS: Prather & Spillane

From: abc@wt.net
Date: 18 Jun 2003

Welcome, Donna. A female mystery writer who cites Prather is Jan Grape. She says she grew up reading the paperback mysteries her father tossed in the trash after he finished them. Prather was a favorite. But Jan's book, AUSTIN CITY BLUE, is nothing like Prather.

I don't know if Spillane's brutal exercises were harmless or not. I do know that when I started reading them in the late 1950s, I knew even then that they were some sort of wish-fulfillment fantasies, even if I didn't know that term.
 I also know that I enjoyed them a lot on that level. The first book I ever tried to write was an outright imitation of Spillane. Luckily, it's been lost forever.

Bill Crider