Re: RARA-AVIS: DARK RIDE, Kent Harrington

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 18 Jun 2003

Miker:

You float the notion that Cain, Thompson and Goodis exhausted the possibilities of noir.

The following dictum, by Proust (I think) bears repetition. It goes approximately thus: "Everything has been said before, but since nobody remembers, it's necessary to say it again."

About Harrington: in my opinion, he tells ultranoir stories but he has his own voice -- and is a far better writer than Thompson and Goodis. I would say he's about as good as Cain and Willeford. Whether he can match the latter's inimitable personality is a different matter. Willefordiana should probably be considered as a genre, all by itself, just like Faulkneriana, Calviniana or Borgiana.

Regards,

MrT