RARA-AVIS: Woodrell and Prather

From: Donna ( donna.moore@virgin.net)
Date: 18 Jun 2003

Hi All,

This is my first post to the list although I've been lurking for ages. Every time I want to say something, someone else says it so much better
:o) But what the heck, I'm just going to jump in and damn the consequences.

Dick Lochte wrote:

> The Woodrell title that fits right in there is "Muscle For The
> Wing." It's been a while since I read it, but as I recall, a
> group of Arian Brotherhood ex-cons decides to take over a small
> Louisiana town, St. Bruno. To do this, they'll have to challenge
> the local Mafia don. The book's hero, Rene Shade, is the town
> lawman, caught in the middle. A lean, very hardboiled novel. May
> be Woodrell's best.

I really liked this one with its cast of sleazy, unlikeable, amoral and beautifully drawn characters. I love Woodrell's writing - it's black, funny, and pared down to a beautifully descriptive simplicity. How about this for a description of a character, that just tells you so much -
"Beaurain measured five foot seven standing on your neck". I especially love his dialogue. This isn't one of my favourite of his books, but I always appreciate his writing.

Mr T wrote:
>it took me a long time to come to the conclusion that Prather
>was a rare talent......I hear that
>his humor is not very accepted by the female readership.

Well, here's one female who does like his books! I find them really light escapist reads - a bit of fun and not to be taken seriously. Shell Scott is an Energiser Bunny on speed - he beats whole gangs of people up, gets beaten up in return, and any female is always gorgeous, willing and as she walks past him she practically trips him up and is lying beneath him when he hits the floor. How he has all the energy for all that fighting and sex I don't know. Anyone else would be in hospital on a glucose drip after about 5 pages.

Donna

--
Visit Donna's Page at:
http://freespace.virgin.net/donna.moore