Re: RARA-AVIS: CASE OF THE VANISHING BEAUTY, Richard Prather 1950

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 Jun 2003

Miker, it's nice to see you reading the good stuff... it took me a long time to come to the conclusion that Prather was a rare talent.

Sure, he wrote for money, and made loads of it, but the originality is there, and it's lasting (the same way Wodehouse's work is lasting).

Were he a young man writing today, he probably would find a rich market in television and film comedy... I hear that his humor is not very accepted by the female readership. I am extrapolating from my acquaintances and from the fact that not one female crime writer has ever mentioned Prather.

I strongly suggest that you read not one but half a dozen more Prathers. You will get addicted. But read him only when you are rested and relaxed.

Best,

MrT