Re: RARA-AVIS: City of Glass

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 15 Jun 2003

Johnny,

I've read all three of Auster's NY Trilogy. It's the only thing I've read by him (I've also seen the movie Smoke). The first was really good. The second did less for me upon first reading it, stood less easily on its own, but I thought more of it after reading the third pulled it all together. Quite impressive overall.

As for other authors messing with the conventions, I immediately think of Marc Behm's Eye of the Beholder, James Sallis's Lew Griffin series, Will Christopher Baer's Kiss Me Judas and Maxim Jakubowski's On Tenderness Express. With the exception of Sallis, all of these feature unreliable narrators. Jack O'Connell's books also filter the conventions through postmodernist theory. None goes as far as Auster, though. Unlike him, they are all trying to remake the genre from within.

Mark