RARA-AVIS: And R.I.P Peck [RE:THE EXECUTIONERS / CAPE FEAR: Algar]

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 13 Jun 2003

Just read that Gregory Peck, mentioned in this discussion, has died at the age of 87. In his quiet way, he managed to be in a lot of good movies.

On The Executioners: The book is excellent, as mentioned. John D. manages to maintain tension throughtout (something that he would find harder to do after the first few McGees).

On the two films: Cape Fear I, which I saw *after* Cape Fear II, is more to my taste, a better version of the book and a better movie. Its director may not be a master, but he does a good job with the material. Very fine photography.

On Night of the Hunter: The book by Davis Grubb is as good as the movie. A must read, if such a thing exists. How did a guy who could write so beautifully not become prominent in the field? I have a collection of twelve Grubb stories, a paperback original from the fifties, all of high quality.

The anecdote: I saw Night of the Hunter many years ago in a double bill with the wry comedy Hobson's Choice (which came first, naturally). I became an immediate fan of Laughton the virtuoso actor *and* the director. Both classic films have extraordinary photography.

Regards,

MrT