RARA-AVIS: Slang

From: Bludis Jack ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 05 Jun 2003

Mario Taboada said:

<<I've come to the conclusion that abusing slang is a weakness in a writer. If a story is good, you don't need so much garnish. A bit goes a long way.>>

I don't know that it shows a weakness, but it doesn't seem real to me. I get the impression that the old Black Mask writer made things up and passed them on into the literature and to the movies with no regard for how criminals really talk. "Gat?" "C-note?" "Piece?" (as in "Gat")

Mr. T also said:
<<Even Chandler's patois gets tiresome sometimes.>>

That, I don't agree with--except on those rare ocassions when Chanlder piled them on back to back to back, obscuring the story in his style.

Jack Bludis

===== See changes at: http://JackBludis.com