RARA-AVIS: RE:God is a Bullet: Another Opinion

From: Dick Lochte ( dlochte@adelphia.net)
Date: 28 May 2003

The current discussion about "Bullet" is pretty damned fascinating. In comparing "The Searchers" to contemporary stories
("Taxi Driver," "Hardcore") one aspect seems to have gone unmentioned, however. The villains of the piece. In "The Searchers," the Indians are depicted as savages, but, as I recall, there is a nobility about them. Their savagery stems from their history. They know no other way of life. And we get the feeling that as much as the character John Wayne plays hates them, he knows this. It's what makes his character so rich. In the "influenced" works, there's nothing at all noble about the pimps and porno filmmakers, snuff artists and others of their ilk. They're scumbags. It simplifies the storyline a little. (I should note that I'm not sure if this applies to "Bullet." I couldn't get very far into that one.)

Dick Lochte