Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS 20 years on...

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 27 May 2003

Graham wrote:

"It seems to me that mystery readers' tastes tend to go back and forth from outight hero worship (the 40s and the cult of Marlowe) to fiction that deglamorizes crime and criminals (the 50s and paperback originals - leaving aside Mike Hammer, of course)."

While I agree with your general observations on mystery trends, do you really think all of the PBOs deglamorized criminals? Don't you think Earl Drake and Parker are perceived "cool"? That's not exactly the same as glamorous, but it's not Eddie Coyle, either.

Mark